Most sound cards, or built-in motherboard sound chips, have color coded jack plug sockets. Here is a general list of what each one is for:
- Pink = Microphone In (mono)
- Blue = Line-In (stereo)
- Green = Line-Out / Front Speakers / Headphones
- Orange = Center Speaker and Subwoofer
- Black = Rear Surround Speakers (5.1, 7.1 systems)
- Grey = Mid Surround Speakers (7.1 systems)
Not all sound cards have all of the jacks shown above. Additional jacks are provided to connect surround sound speakers. Also note that colors may vary between different sound card manufacturers. For example, M-Audio sometimes use Black for Microphone connection and Pink for 7.1 Rear Surround. If in doubt you should refer to your sound card user manual or manufacturers web site.